Hualien - Taroko - Zhuilu Adventure
You know saying, “Hard work pays off?” Well that's the case with the Zhuilu Old Trail (錐麓古道). The 10 km hike is a bit of a vertical workout, but your effort will be rewarded tenfold: this trail o...
- 1 day / 8 hrs
- Private English-speaking guide
Spots in itinerary
about Taroko - Zhuilu Adventure
You know saying, “Hard work pays off?” Well that's the case with the Zhuilu Old Trail (錐麓古道). The 10 km hike is a bit of a vertical workout, but your effort will be rewarded tenfold: this trail offers the most breathtaking bird's-eye views in the whole Taroko Gorge. Imagine yourself looking down from the top of Taipei 101, but the scenery below is the magnificent marble walled canyon of Taroko and the Liwu River that carved it. Those insect like things moving about at the bottom?
Oh yeah, those are people who wished they could enjoy the views afforded from up here.
Originally, this trail was part of a longer cross-island mountain pass built by indigenous groups in the area. In fact, you can still find remnants of their settlements and market outposts along the path. Later, the Japanese recruited tribe members to further develop the trail to serve two purposes during colonial times: 1) to provide the Japanese military an outpost to subdue native settlements in the Taroko region, and 2) to utilize as a trekking location for Japanese tourists.
Be amazed by the 500 meter long Zhuilu Cliff that is one of the greatest adrenaline rushes you'll ever experience! To top it all off, you may just be lucky enough to spot some monkeys spying on you from the surrounding jungle.
- Pick up Locations
- Hotels in Hualien City / Visitor Center next to Hualien Train Station front exit / Hualien Airport / Port of Hualien
- Drop off Locations
- Hotels in Hualien City / Hualien Train Station / Hualien Airport / Port of Hualien
- Guiding service/Permit application/Transportation (fuel, parking, and toll fee)/Passenger insurance /Tax/Entrance Fee (TWD200 each)/Lunch
- Cancellation Policy
- Severe weather conditions or cancellation made by customer more than 72 hours before departure will qualify for a 100% refund. Otherwise, no refund will be issued.
- This private tour starts at 08:00 and ends at 16:30.
- Entrance fee (TWD200 each) and lunch is included in this tour.
- The number of visitors to Zhuilu Old Trail is limited (weekdays: 96 persons / weekend: 156 persons). Please book with us at least 7 days in advance to apply for the permits in time. After booking online successfully, we will request for your personal info for permits application use only. However, visitors younger than 13 years old cannot apply the permit for safety issue. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is no vacancy for permits to Zhuilu Old Trail according to Taroko National Park. In this event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund.
- Now only half of the trail is open to public due to maintenance at the rear part of the trail. So it's necessary to enter from Swallow Grotto side, return at 3.1k and leave the trail from Swallow Grotto as well (6.2 round-trip hiking).
- This hike would take around 5 hours in total. Lunch, snack, plenty of water, and raincoat should be prepared in advance.
- For visitors who is going to take a train from Hualien to Taipei after this tour, it's better to book a train departing after 18:00.
- Contact Us
- For any query, please email service@roundTAIWANround.com. Alternative, you may call +886-4-24361910 for any urgent request.
- Overtime Extra Charge
- Optional : If you wish to extend your tour, every extra hour over the agreed schedule of a private tour is charged TWD500 (US$17) for a sedan-based or van-based tour, or TWD1000 (US$34) for a bus-based tour. There will be no overtime extra charge for a shared tour.
- Available on