No.63, Sec. 2, Zhongyi Rd., West Central Dist., Tainan City 700, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Hayashi Department Store first opened in 1932 during the Japanese Colonial Era. It not only was the first department store with elevator in southern Taiwan, it was also the most popular spot throughout the entire Tainan City. Until today, the five-story steel structure still is eye-catching, but with the evolution of the society and times, the department store had to snuff out the last light. The good news is through collaboration between the government and local efforts, the renovation of this department store began its construction in 2006 and re-opened in 2014. Because the building design was that of an earlier time, the capacity of the entire building is under 500 people. That is why upon the re-open of the Hayashi Department Store, there has always been a long line in front of the entrance on weekends and holidays, with people who have been curious about this building that is close to a hundred years old, and elders who come to reminisce the past.
The reconstruction of the building kept most of the original interior designs, from the elevator, the floor materials, the stairways to the rooftop, and even the ceilings. Every single table, chair, and beams and columns in the department store is filled with the romance of history. This cultural based shopping mall has not only Taiwanese designer clothing, household items and traditional desserts, but also brings more fine cuisine and restaurants to the renewed version. Japanese izakaya, retro cafe, tea shop and desserts and be found in the building. On the rooftop, you can not only see the beautiful view of Tainan streets, but there is also a Shinto shrine built during the Japanese Colonial Era right on the top floor.