Flowing through the east coast of Taiwan, the Kuroshio is the world's second largest warm current after the Gulf stream in the Atlantic Ocean and brings shoals of migratory fish to the waters near Hualien. Dolphins and whales feed on these fish and therefore keep coming back to the open water of Hualien City every year. The peak season for dolphin watching occurs between May and October as the sea is usually calm with low waves during the period. It takes around 3 hours for the whole trip. Forget about the captive dolphin shows at ocean theme parks. Why not taking a ride on the boat and sailing on the Pacific Ocean? Let the wild and happy dolphins surprise you from every possible direction. Keep your eyes peeled. If you are lucky, you may also see whale! This is a chance for you to get close to nature, as you've never seen it before.
As dolphins and whales are wild animals, we can’t guarantee that you will for sure see lots of them on the day of the tour. From our experiences, you’ll need a bit of luck to spot whales, but there is always a good chance of seeing dolphins in Hualien.
Please contact us if you would like to book the dolphin watching cruises.
In summer (from June to September), the number of dolphins will reach its peak. Our local supplier "Turumoan (多羅滿賞鯨)" is one of the most experienced in Hualien.
Be sure to bring your passport, sunblock, and wide-brimmed hat for the inevitable burn if you are not accustomed to those bright ocean-reflecting rays.
Please consider to take medication to prevent motion sickness if you get seasick easily.
- 1. The most popular season of dolphin watching is in summer (Jun. to Sep.). Our cooperative company "Turumoan" is one of the oldest and well-known company in Hualien. Please send us a mail if you would like to book the dolphin watching activity.
- 2. Before starting, please read the following items:
- Bring passport to registering for the coastal guard.
- Bringing sun lotion and hat for fear of sunburn.
- Preparing pills by youself in advance if you easily get seasick.